The Appeals Process
Can I appeal a decision?
Yes. If you are not satisfied with the decision on an FOI request, you may ask PIAB for an “internal review” of the decision.
A more senior officer will review your application. You will be told the result of this review within three weeks.
If you are still unhappy with the decision you have the right to appeal the matter to the Information Commissioner.
Applications, with the appropriate fees should be forwarded to:
Office of the Information Commissioner
18 Lower Leeson Street
Phone: 01 639 5689 or 1890 253238
Fax: 01 639 5674
Is there a charge for appealing an FOI decision?
- There is no fee for internal review applications concerning only personal information relating to oneself or in relation to a decision to impose a fee or deposit
- A fee of €30 must accompany an application for internal review of a decision for non-personal requests
- A reduced fee of €10 applies if you are covered by a medical card
- A fee of €50 must accompany most applications for review by the Information Commissioner.
- A reduced fee of €15 applies if you are covered by a medical card or in relation to a review concerning certain third party information